Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Still Sticking with the Acer C110

I'm itching to get a new computer, specifically a netbook especially after everytime I read a review of the latest devices. James Kendrick just posted a review of the new HP Mini 1000 and Laptop magazine reviewed the Samsung NC10. As a reader of this blog you know that I am using my Acer C110 which I have had for 4 years now and is actually 5 years old since I bought it refurbished. Even with sub $500 prices I will keep using the Acer. While it would be nice to have a built in cam, bluetooth, a better screen and much better battery life, the deal breaker is the screen size. My 10" screen on the Acer is larger than the wide screen 10" displays on the Samsung and HP. My resolution is set to 1024 x 768 while the others have a 1024 x 600. That makes my Acer 28% longer. The loss of this screen real estate was made clear to me while I was watching the Laptop video of the NC10. With the tool bar on the top of the browser there wasn't much web page to see.

Perhaps one day a netbook will come out with the larger screen, I can only hope!

2 comments:

All Things Blogworthy said...

acer

All Things Blogworthy said...

I'd have to agree with you on the fact that there are no replacements for the C110 yet.

coworker just got the Acer One and while it's smaller and much faster it doesn't weigh any less and the screen is smaller, supporting 1024x600 like you mentioned. It's also twice the cost of what a C110 can currently be found, and netbooks don't have tablet pc functionality.

~1ghz is plenty to run XP and surf the net, i'm very happy with the C110.